I am currently Project Manager for the Unlocking Our Sound Heritage project at National Museums NI. Between 2018 and 2021 we will digitise and catalogue over 5,000 recordings from the sound archive at the Ulster Folk Museum, Cultra.
I am also an historical researcher, writer, educator and consultant of two decades' experience.
|Areas of expertise||
Audio Heritage and Oral History
Ulster, Ireland, Britain, Sunday, nationalist, unionist, local government, Stormont, sport, media, GAA, Gaelic games, camán, hurling, football, basketball, Cusack, Sigerson, Louis O'Kane, oral history, social history, local history, linen, revolution, war
Dónal McAnallen (Professional Historian)
Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in History, NUI Galway.
2019- – Project Manager, UOSH, National Museums NI
• 2018-19 – commissioned researcher for the 'Forgotten Gaelic Volunteers' project at the Cardinal Ó Fiaich Library and Archive
|Management & Administrative experience||
On the Unlocking Our Sound Heritage Project at National Museums NI, I manage a team of 5 staff and 8 volunteers.
I have organised the following large academic conferences:
I have also considerable experience of various aspects of administration relating to lecturing undergraduate and postgraduate courses. This includes the design and delivery of course lectures and seminars, the management of online learning pages, and preparation and grading of course assignments and end-of-term exams.
Lecturer in Ulster Sports Academy, University of Ulster
SELECT PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT PRESENTATIONS:
|Committees & Associations||
O'Neill Country Historical Society committee member, 2015-
Winner of McNamee Award for 'Best GAA Publication in 2012' for 'The Cups that Cheered'
Peer-reviewer for 'Sport in History'
• ‘The GAA, Partition and Unionism’ in Gearóid Ó Tuathaigh (ed.), The GAA & Revolution in Ireland, 1913-23 (Collins Press, 2015)
|Peer Reviewed Journals||
• ‘The Radicalisation of the Gaelic Athletic Association in Ulster, 1912-23: the Role of Owen O’Duffy’ in International Journal for the History of Sport, February 2014
• 'Maydown, Benburb: a Millennium of History in an Armagh Townland', in Dúiche Néill: Journal of the O Neill Country Historical Society, 2018
• Richard McElligott, 'Forging a Kingdom: The GAA in Kerry, in History Ireland', Jan./Feb. 2014.