I recently received my PhD in history from QUB. The thesis examined popular collective action in Ulster and its various forms (Ribbonism, Fenianism, the Confederate Clubs and agrarian and sectarian mobilisation). Prior to that I completed both my BA (History, Irish) and MA in History at the National University of Ireland, Galway. I am fully fluent in Irish.
My interests are primarily 19th and 20th century Irish history, most specifically; secret societies, revolutionary nationalism and popular protest.
I am currently researching the transnational history of the Catholic fraternal organisation, The Ancient Order of Hibernians.
|Areas of expertise||
Social movements and revolution, Fenianism, Ribbonism,
Kerron Ó Luain (Professional Historian)
2011-2016 – PhD at Queen's University Belfast
• Editorial Assistant, Fiontair & Scoil na Gaeilge, DCU, 2017.
• Heritage Officer, Saggart Heritage Centre, 2017.
• Archival Assistant, ESB International, 2007, 2009.
• 2017, Deaglán Ó Mochain, producer with Dearcán Media, TG4. Sought consultation with regards the IRB during the years 1916-24.
|Management & Administrative experience||
Seminar series organiser, Queen's University Belfast, 2013.
• History Tutor, UCD, 2017.
• History Tutor, Queen's University Belfast, 2012-2014.
|Committees & Associations||
The Four Districts Remembers 1916 Centenary Committee: acted as secretary and general organiser/manager of seminar series and Easter commemoration.
• 2016, Seachtain na Gaeilge Support Bursary.
Conference papers and seminars:
• (Forthcoming) 'Rathcoole and the United Irish Rebellions, 1798-1803' (Four Courts Press, Dublin, 2020).
• 'The Four Districts and the Irish Revolution, 1916-23' in Journal of the Kildare Archaeological Society, October 2017.
• 'The Ribbon Societies of Louth and Armagh, 1848-1864' in Seanchas Ard Mhacha: Journal of the Armagh Diocesan Historical Society, Volume 25, 2014
• ‘“A policy of Passive Resistance”: Sinn Féin and abstentionism – an historical overview’ in The Irish Story (www.theirishstory.com)(4/07/2017).
• 'Tost i ndiaidh torthaí an daonáirimh' i Mionlach: irisleabhar de chuid Misneach, uimhir.7 (Mí Bealtaine, 2017).