• Fulbright Scholar, Villanova University, 2018-2019
• Tutor, UCD, 2017-2018
• Editorial Assistant, Fiontair & Scoil na Gaeilge, DCU, 2017
• Heritage Officer, Saggart Heritage Centre, 2017
• Tutor, QUB, 2012-2014
• Archival Assistant, ESB International, 2007-2009
|Management & Administrative experience
Historical/Sociological talks or public events organised:
• ‘Cogadh Faoi Cheilt: Scéal an IRB’, documentary film showing and discussion, The Ireland Institute, 17 June 2019.
• Tour to Cloughjordan Eco-Village, hosted by Professor Peadar Kirby and with talks given by Dr. John Walsh and Dr. Finbarr Bradely, 13 May 2017.
• ‘Frongoch and the Birth of the IRA’ with Lyn Ebenezer, author and historian, The Ireland Institute, 25 April 2016
• ‘Scotland and the 1916 Rising’ with Stephen Coyle, author and historian, The Ireland Institute, 24 March 2016
• ‘Josie: a brief Flame’ with Mícheál Ó Doibhilín, author and historian, 12 March 2016
• ‘Poet Patriot: Thomas McDonagh and the Easter Rising’ with Dr. Shane Kenna, Saggart Heritage Centre, 27 February 2016
• ‘The Role of Women in the Irish Revolution’ with Liz Gillis, author and historian, Rathcoole Community Centre, 7 February 2016
• Various historical film showings, Club Scannán an Phiarsaigh, The Ireland Institute, 2016
• Seminar series organiser, Queen's University Belfast, 2013.
Media and public engagement:
• 26 May 2019: appeared in Michael Davitt: Radacach, historical documentary on TG4.
• 10 April 2019: read poetry at Critical Languages and Cultural Studies Poetry and Prose Reading, Bartley Hall, Villanova, PA.
• 13 February 2019: Great Famine lecture and Black ’47 film showing, Villanova University, PA.
• 5 February 2019: ambassador for #TrasnanadTonnta global cyber-Gaeltacht Twitter campaign.
• 14 November 2018: Fulbright Irish Language Night, Corr Hall, Villanova University, PA.
• 16 September 2018: Part of panel discussion with Dr. Breandán Mac Suibhne on post-Famine adjustment in the Irish Arts and Cultural Center, Philadelphia, PA.
• 11 August 2018: Part of RnaG radio panel for Murach Gur Tharla programme which discussed the IRB from 1905-24 and Partition
• 7 March 2018: Gave evidence and discussed recommendations concerning the amendment to the Official Languages Act (2003) at the Oireachtas Joint Committee for the Irish Language, the Gaeltacht and the Islands.
• 26 November 2017: Interviewed by Adare Productions on history of WW2, Irish Neutrality and the Glencree German War Cemetery for TG4 program Beidh Mé Ar Ais which looked at lesser known heritage and historical sites.
• 22 November 2017: Discussed language planning issues and sociolinguistic problems in the Connemara Gaeltacht on Iris Aniar on Raidió na Gaeltachta
• 29 August 2017: Discussed civil rights, international relations and the role of the Irish government in the case of Ibrahim Halawa’s imprisonment in Egypt on Raidió na Life.
• 2016: Discussed the challenges facing young people in 21st century Ireland on Raidió na Life.
• 24 June, 2016: Discussed the historical background and implications of Brexit on Cormac@5 on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta.
• March and May, 2016, 'The Four Districts and the Irish Revolution, 1916-23', talks given to local audiences in Rathcoole and Brittas Community Centers.
• 2016-2017: Filed application with South Dublin County Council for erecting historical signage on 1798 Rebellion in Rathcoole, Co. Dublin. In constant consultation with local councillor. Awaiting outcome.
• 2016: Was part of committee which erected historical monument to 1916 Rising at Courthouse in Rathcoole.
• 2019, Irish Activist Histories travel funding.
• 2019, International Celtic Congress travel funding.
• 2018, Graduate conference travel funding, Villanova.
• 2018, Fulbright Scholarship.
• 2018, Colm Cille Ireland-Scotland Grants Scheme.
• 2016, Seachtain na Gaeilge Support Bursary.
• 2014, Foras na Gaeilge Annual Sponsorship.
• 2013, Student Led Initiative funding, QUB.
• 2012, Conference and travel funding, QUB.
Conference papers and seminars
• “‘Sí an Ghaeilge athghabháil na hÉireann’: radical Irish language group Misneach, c.1963-70”, Irish Activist Histories Conference, Hertford College, Oxford, July 2019.
• “‘Rianta an choilíneachais’: the Irish language and the discourses of colonisation and decolonisation”, invited lecture, Elms College, Chicopee, MA, May 2019.
• 'Ribbonism and Revisionism', invited lecture, International Celtic Congress, Newquay, Cornwall, April 2019.
• ‘“Cearta Teanga/Cearta Daonna”: Irish language rights in twenty-first century Ireland’, invited seminar lecture, Irish Politics Political Science class, Villanova University, PA, April 2019.
• “‘Syndacalistic madness’: the AOH and the Great Dublin Lockout of 1913’, ACIS Mid-Atlantic Conference, Villanova University, PA, November 2018.
• ‘Ireland’s Traveller ethnicity: a history of exclusion’, invited seminar lecture, Race and Ethnicity in American Politics graduate class, Villanova University, PA, November 2018.
• 'The Gaeltacht in 2018 and neoliberal ideology: transitioning into oblivion?', ACIS Mid-Western Conference, University of St Thomas, Minneapolis, MN, October 2018.
• ‘The joy of defying triumphalism? Ribbonite and Hibernian processions in the long nineteenth century', SSNCI conference: Happiness in the Nineteenth Cenutry, TCD, Dublin, July 2018
• ‘The Ancient Order of Hibernians in the US and Ireland: a transnational exploration of Irish identity and upward social mobility', annual conference of the Economic and Social History Society of Ireland, Central Bank of Ireland, Dublin, November 2017
• 'Forléargas ar Éireann, 1916-2016', Ceardlann Cruthaitheach de chuid Teacht Aniar, Béal Feirste, Feabhra 2017.
• 'The Four Districts and the Irish Revolution, 1916-23', Rathcoole and Brittas Community Centers, March and May, 2016.
• 'The persistence of nationalist and anti-state sentiment in Ulster, 1848-67', IHS Conference, Galway, February 2016.
• 'Ribbonmen, Fenians and lower-class nationalism in 19th century urban Ulster', SSNCI Irish urban spaces in the nineteenth century conference, Queen's University Belfast, June 2014
• 'Ribbonism & Fenianism; conflict and conformity within working-class Irish nationalism', Minority Histories & other Republicanisms conference, Queen's University Belfast, May 2014
• 'Ribbonism & Fenianism; conflict and conformity within working-class Irish nationalism', annual Irish History Students (IHS) conference, MIC Limerick, March 2014
• 'Post-Famine Ribbonism', TCD post-graduate seminar series, January 2014
• 'Ribbonism in the 1850s; a spent force?', annual conference of the Economic and Social History Society of Ireland, NUI Galway, November 2013
• 'The agrarian disturbances of 1849-1852; landlord/tenant conflict on the South Ulster borderlands', Landlords, Tenants and their Estates in Ireland: 1600-2013 conference, Moore Institute NUI Galway, September 2013
• 'Secret Societies in the South Ulster Borderlands, 1849-1852: a transitional period in Ribbonism?' SSNCI Crime, Violence and the Irish in the Nineteenth Century conference, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, June 2013
• 'Post-Famine Ribbonism in Ulster', post-graduate seminar series at Queen's University Belfast, April 2012