I am a design historian specialist in exploring how design, and visual and material culture expand understanding of cultural history. I am currently a consultant/curator to the National Treasures Project (El Zorrero Films) which will culminate in a 4-part TV series for RTE and an exhibition at the National Museum of Ireland (2018) https://nationaltreasures.ie
|Areas of expertise||
My current research interests focus on the history of Irish design, graphic design, the visual culture of aviation and travel, and Irish philanthropic architecture.
design, graphic design, design history, cultural history, social history, design theory, tourism, aviation, material culture, visual culture, architecture, philanthropy,
Linda King (Professional Historian)
- PhD: Dublin City University (DCU), Design History/Irish Studies, Thesis Title: 'Traditions and Modernities – Aer Lingus and the Visualisation of Irish Identities 1951-1961'
- 2013-: Co-Programme Chair: BA (Hons) Visual Communication Design, IADT.
- 2017-: Consultant/curator: National Treasures (RTE/NMI/El Zorrero Films).
|Committees & Associations||
- Canadian Association of Irish Studies
- 2011: IDI Eye, Award for Outstanding Contribution to Irish Design
- Linda King and Oonagh Young (eds.) Transdisciplinary Practice: Images, objects and discourse across creative contexts (Dublin, 2017).
- Art + Industry = Design in Linda King and Oonagh Young (eds.) Transdisciplinary Practice: Images, objects and discourse across creative contexts, Oonagh Young Gallery (Dublin, 2017).
|Peer Reviewed Journals||
- ‘Visual Shrapnel': Rethinking Irish Studies Through Visual Culture and Design Studies (with Elaine Sisson) in The Canadian Journal of Irish Studies, Vol. 38, Nos 1+2 (Montreal, 2015).
- Design Creates Culture in Karen Hennessy (ed.) Irish Design 2015: Making Design Matter, Design and Crafts Council of Ireland (Kilkenny, 2016).
- Eileen Gray: Her Life and Her Work (book review), Canadian Journal of Irish Studies (2017).
Peer reviewer for many Irish and international publishers on design, visual and material culture.