I am a design historian and broadcaster, specialist in exploring how design, and visual and material culture expand understanding of cultural history. I was consultant/curator to the National Treasures Project which culminated in a 4-part TV series for RTE1 and an exhibition at the National Museum of Ireland (2018) https://nationaltreasures.ie
|Areas of expertise||
My current research interests focus on the history of Irish design, graphic design, the visual culture of aviation and travel, and Irish philanthropic architecture.
design, graphic design, design history, cultural history, social history, design theory, tourism, aviation, material culture, visual culture, architecture, philanthropy,
Linda King (Professional Historian)
- PhD: Dublin City University (DCU), Design History/Irish Studies, Thesis Title: 'Traditions and Modernities – Aer Lingus and the Visualisation of Irish Identities 1951-1961'
I lecture in Design History and Visual Culture at IADT, Dublin (1999-), where I am also the co-Programme Chair of the BA (Hons) in Visual Communication Design (2013-).
I am currently a Visiting Scholar at the School of Irish Studies, Concordia University, Montreal and was previously a researcher and assistant curator at the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, New York.
I am/have been a design and historical consultant for a number of national and international organisations including:
|Management & Administrative experience||
I have over 25 years experience in design education. My current role includes the academic management and oversight of a highly successful undergraduate design programme that has been internationally praised and recognised. I have extensive experience in curriculum development and validation including the successful completion of programmatic and institutional reviews.
Undergraduate and Postgraduate: design history, visual and material cultures, regional modernisms, design professionalisation, contemporary design practices (all with a particular emphasis on Ireland and North America), philanthropic architecture (with a particular emphasis on Dublin).
I regularly give public or invited lectures or conduct interviews. National lectures have included those at: the National Museum of Ireland; the Royal Irish Academy (for RTE’s Reflecting the Rising commemoration); the Royal Dublin Society (for the Irish Museums Association Annual Conference); the National Library of Ireland; the National Gallery of Ireland; the National Print Museum; the National Craft Gallery, Kilkenny; Dublin City Gallery; the Irish Museum of Modern Art; the Royal Institute of Architects in Ireland; Temple Bar Studios and Gallery; the Guinness Storehouse (for Heritage Week); Parnell Summer School; Dublin City University; National University of Ireland, Maynooth; Trinity College Dublin; the National College of Art and Design; Dublin Institute of Technology; Cork Institute of Technology; the Bord Gais Energy Theatre (for the Offset annual creative festival).
|Committees & Associations||
- Member of the Board of the National Museum of Ireland (NMI)
- 2018: Visiting Scholar, School of Irish Studies, Concordia University, Montreal
Conference and symposium organisation include:
- Linda King and Oonagh Young (eds.) Transdisciplinary Practice: Images, objects and discourse across creative contexts (Dublin, 2017).
- '(Re)imagining communities: cara magazine and negotiation of Irish identity, 1997–2017', in Gisela Holfter, Bettina Migge (eds), Ireland in the European Eye, Royal Irish Academy (Dublin, 2019).
|Peer Reviewed Journals||
- ‘''A Sense of Ireland”: reflecting and refracting modernity in Irish culture’, in Gerry Smyth and Deaglán Ó Donghaile (eds.), Marginal Irish Modernisms, a special edition of the Irish Studies Review (Oxford, 2018).
- Reform and Advocacy: The legacy of the Kilkenny Design Workshops (1963-1988) in Vernacular, Design and Crafts Council of Ireland (Kilkenny, 2013).
- Karen Hennessy (ed.) Irish Design 2015: Making Design Matter, Design and Crafts Council of Ireland (Kilkenny, 2016).
- ‘National Treasures: on Ireland's design history’, RTE Culture (online at: https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0410/953478-national-treasures-linda-king-on-irelands-design-history/ (2018)
- Eileen Gray: Her Life and Her Work (book review), Canadian Journal of Irish Studies (2017).
- I am also a peer reviewer for many Irish and international publishers on design history, art history, visual and material cultures and education. I have also extensive experience as an editor for academic publications.